Let’s face it—pecans are amazing, fresh strawberries are divine and maple syrup can make anything taste like a party. This shortcake base turns out beautifully and being subtly sweet and soft, pairs perfectly with the fresh strawberries and maple coconut cream.
This gorgeous dessert is so impressive in its appearance that it can be proudly presented at any occasion, and will be pleasing to any palate. Your guests will not even notice that it is grain free. My husband, who is not a grain-free baked-goods fan, thought the cake was delicious—though he did have ice cream instead of the coconut cream (he is not a coconut cream fan).
Enjoy a dessert can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes and cater for many food allergies and special diets—being dairy free, grain free, gluten free and refined sugar free.
So these are not strawberry pancakes—but regardless, while you are making these you should really watch this short little video and fill your mind with this catchy tune. You can replace the word “pancakes” with “shortcakes” if it puts your mind at ease. I watched this clever little example of my slightly twisted sense of humour first of all about 5 years ago and I have had it stuck in my head ever since.
You are welcome.
Now, to the sweet business…
1 cup pecans, finely ground
80ml coconut oil
3 tbsp honey
4 tbsp coconut flour
½ tsp baking powder
Generous pinch of salt
approx.. 300g fresh strawberries
- Pulse pecans into a fine texture in a food processor.
- Add coconut flour, salt and baking powder to the processor and blend.
- Add coconut oil, egg and honey to food processor and blend well. This should be a very sticky—and delicious!—mixture.
- Line the bottom of a loaf tin with baking paper and grease the sides with coconut oil or butter.
- Bake @ 180 for 15 minutes
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then gently remove the cake.
- Cut into desired serving size.
- Top each piece with sliced strawberries.
- Serve immediately with Vanilla Maple Coconut Cream.
This recipe was featured on Real Food Friday!
Connect with me!
(Linked to Modest Monday; Fat Tuesday; Naturally Sweet Tuesdays; Allergy Free Wednesdays; Gluten Free Wednesdays; Real Food Wednesdays; Wake Up Wednesday; Wellness Wednesdays; What You Wish Wednesday; Full Plate Thursday; Thriving Thursday; Real Food Fridays; Friendship Fridays; Fight Back Fridays; Gluten Free Fridays; Saturday Soiree; Savouring Saturdays; Homestead Barn Hop; The Yuck Stops Here; Homemaking Link Up; Homemaking Successes Link Up; So Much at Home)