My search for the perfect gluten free base recipe is over. I can now rest in peace. This is arguably the best gluten free pizza base I have ever tasted–and I have tasted a lot of gluten free pizza bases.
Usually gluten free pizzas are tough, crumbly and okay tasting–but not really a substitute for a real pizza.
But not this pizza base. This pizza base is amazing.
A little bit of genius.
I don’t want to brag, but hey… it is the best.
My gluten-free-hating husband said that this was excellent (much to his surprise and mine), and after tasting the gluten free pizza, my sister actually switched from the wheat version I had made to devour more of the deliciously light and fluffy gluten free version. It was just that good.
This recipe is made from a blend of rice, sweet potato and arrowroot flours, and contains no xantham gum, no cornstarch or cornflour and no expensive pre-mixed gluten free flours (blech).
It can also be ready in under an hour.
Quick, easy, totally from scratch and totally delicious. What more could you want?
Perfectly Light and Fluffy Gluten Free Pizza Crust
Makes 2 medium pizza bases
200g sweet potato flour (*Update: I tried substituting this for arrowroot and it worked fabulously!)
180g brown rice flour
50g arrowroot flour
50g white rice flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
25ml olive oil (plus extra for coating)
250ml very warm water
1 large egg
- Mix together flours, yeast, salt and oregano.
- Mix together oil, water and honey separately.
- Mix two mixes together–half way through add the egg–mix together well.
- Let rise for 30-45 minutes
- Line pizza pan with baking paper.
- Cover paper in olive oil.
- Press half of mixture onto paper in pan.
- Cover dough with a layer of olive oil (lug olive oil into the centre and spread with your hands).
- Bake for 10-15 minutes @200C (fan-forced), or until the base is slightly browned on the edges (if you want crispy edges, take out halfway and cover in olive oil again).
- Add sauce, cheese and favourite toppings and bake for another 10-12 minutes, or until topping are sufficiently cooked.
Voila! The perfectly perfect gluten free pizza base! Can you see how light and fluffy?!
For a perfect whole wheat pizza recipe, Danelle at Weed ‘Em and Reap has a very easy, fail-proof recipe that I make at least a fortnight for the handsome hubs. I fashioned this recipe after her amazing one.
Connect with me! I love socializing.
(Linked to Meal Plan Mondays; Modest Monday; Saturday Soiree; Titus 2uesdays; Tasty Tuesdays; Allergy Free Wednesdays; Gluten Free Wednesdays; Wake Up Wednesday; Real Food Wednesdays; Full Plate Thursday; Real Food Fridays; Thriving Thursday; Gluten Free Fridays; Fight Back Friday; Savoring Saturdays; The Yuck Stops Here; Homestead Barn Hop; Hearts for Home; Homeacre Hop; Fantastic Thursday)