Salads are amazing. Being back in Australia, I am simply loving all the fresh vegetables that are at my fingertips. I don’t care that it’s cold here – to me, salads are a year-round thing. Rain or shine.
For those of you who have been following my recipes, you would know that I love coleslaw. I have already posted two separate coleslaw recipes – my Kale, Beet, Apple and Walnut Salad with Walnut Cranberry Dressing, and my Easy Vinegar Slaw.
And just look at this slaw. Look how pretty. All the colours.
I call it ABC Slaw because it has Apple, Broccoli, Beetroot, Cabbage, and Carrot. I suppose that means it should be ABBCC Slaw – but that’s not quite as catchy.
Sweet, tangy, crunchy, and beautiful – this slaw is the perfect accompaniment to any meaty meal.
ABC Slaw with Blueberry Lemon Dressing
Makes one big slaw
4 medium green apples, cored
2 medium beetroot, skin and top removed
2 large carrots
1 large head of broccoli
100g feta cheese, cubed (optional)
1/2 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
3 lemons, peeled and deseeded
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp honey (optional; maple for vegan option)
- Grate the apples, carrots, cabbage, and beets in a food processor (or by hand if you don’t have a food processor – you even include the broccoli stems at this point).
- Put all the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Mix the dressing into the slaw mixture.
- Finely chop the broccoli and stir the broccoli in. You can also stir in a few spinach leaves, if you wish.
- Crumble and sprinkle over feta (optional).